Home News Maai Mahiu Flood Victims Receive Land Titles as Government Rolls Out Resettlement...

Maai Mahiu Flood Victims Receive Land Titles as Government Rolls Out Resettlement Plan

Maai Mahiu Flood Victims Receive Land Titles as Government Rolls Out Resettlement Plan
Maai Mahiu Flood Victims Receive Land Titles as Government Rolls Out Resettlement Plan
  • 105 families displaced by the April 2024 Maai Mahiu dam tragedy have received title deeds for two acres each.
  • 56 tenant families will also be allocated land through government acquisition.
  • Each affected household has been given KSh20,000 to support rebuilding efforts.
  • Government has secured land for schools, hospitals, markets and other public facilities.
  • Deputy President Kithure Kindiki says infrastructure projects and youth empowerment programs are being fast-tracked in the region.

More than a year after a deadly dam burst in Maai Mahiu, families who lost their homes are finally beginning a new chapter.

On Tuesday, Deputy President Kithure Kindiki presided over the issuance of title deeds to 105 homeowners displaced by flash floods in April 2024. Each family has been allocated two acres of land as part of the government’s resettlement plan.

Speaking during the event in Maai Mahiu, Nakuru County, the Deputy President said both property owners and tenants would benefit from the intervention.

Kindiki confirmed that 56 families who had been renting homes destroyed by the floods will also receive land.

“All families who were affected, whether owners or tenants, will be provided land,” he said, noting that the homeowners were receiving their title deeds immediately, while land for tenants would be acquired and distributed.

He directed Lands Cabinet Secretary Alice Wahome to speed up the acquisition process to ensure the 56 tenant families are settled without delay.

In addition to land allocation, each affected household received KSh20,000 to help them restart their lives.

Beyond individual resettlement, the government has secured additional land for essential public services. These include space for hospitals, schools, markets, places of worship, recreational facilities and ICT centres.

The Deputy President also highlighted ongoing infrastructure upgrades in the region. He said the expansion of the Rironi–Mau Summit road has already begun and will ease traffic while reducing accidents along the busy stretch.

Construction of the Maai Mahiu Modern Market is expected to begin within a week. The government has also pledged to install a transformer to improve the electricity supply, especially for local sand harvesters.

Kindiki further revealed plans to help the harvesters acquire 100 acres of land in the Kedong area to support their activities.

During his address, the Deputy President reiterated the administration’s commitment to youth empowerment. He cited programs such as NYOTA, Kazi Mtandaoni and Kazi Majuu as initiatives designed to create job opportunities and improve livelihoods.

Kindiki criticized opposition leaders, accusing them of exploiting young people for political gain. He maintained that the government is focused on creating meaningful opportunities rather than engaging in empty rhetoric.

“This government believes in empowering the youth to be productive members of society,” he said, adding that development remains a top priority.

The event was attended by several leaders, including CS Alice Wahome, Principal Secretary Nixon Korir, Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika, Bahati MP Irene Njoki and other local representatives.

Later in the day, the Deputy President also led an economic empowerment drive for small-scale traders in Longonot, Naivasha Constituency.

As the resettlement exercise progresses, affected families in Maai Mahiu now look forward to rebuilding their homes and restoring stability after months of uncertainty.

Leaderboard Ad